Monday 10 December 2007

Another Triumph for St John's

I'm delighted to note in my alumni magazine

that a study of noise pollution across Britain has discovered that [Canterbury Quad, at St John's College, Oxford, where I lived from 1998-9] is the quietest place in the country. Sound levels there ... were measured as less than [sic] 50 decibels, as quiet as the hum of a refrigerator.

St John's has also recently installed a new organ, costing about £175,000, built by Bernard Aubertin, the first French (as opposed to imitation-French) organ in an Oxbridge college.

2 comments:

Michael McClenahan said...

With just the odd scream from the law library to shatter the tranquility.

Neil Jeffers said...

I never remember that, Michael. As I recall, the lawyers were always in the bar (no pun intended).